"Slow Hand" is a song recorded by American vocal groupThe Pointer Sisters for their eighth studio albumBlack & White (). The song, written by Michael Clark and John Bettis, was released by the Planet label in May as the lead single from Black & White.
Background and impact
Although its sultry style recalls the Pointer Sisters' first American top-ten hit, the number two hit "Fire", "Slow Hand" was not written for the group; in fact John Bettis would state "the Pointer Sisters were the furthest [act] from [the composers'] minds." However producer Richard Perry(Richard Perry quote:)"knew 'Slow Hand' [would be] an instant smash [hit]thatwould recapitulate and expand on the intimacy [of] 'Fire'." Like "Fire"—which also featured Anita Pointer on lead—"Slow Hand" peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot , for 3 weeks, behind "Endless Love" by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie. "Slow Hand" reached that position in August when it also reached number seven on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. "Slow Hand" was ranked in the top 25 best singles of the year by The Village VoicePazz & Jop poll.
"Slow Hand" also afforded the Pointer Sisters international success, including the first appearance by the group in the top-ten on the UK Singles Chart.
"Slow Hand" was not the first song recorded by the sisters to have a country feel. In , the group wrote and recorded their second US top 20 hit "Fairytale".
Credits and personnel
Del Reeves version
The song was covered in by country singer Del Reeves, whose version peaked at #53 on the Hot Country Singles chart.
Conway Twitty version
The song was covered in April by country singer Conway Twitty with minor lyric changes to accommodate a heterosexual male singer. His version, on Elektra Records, topped the BillboardHot Country Singles chart for two weeks that June, and was his last multi-week number-one song.
- ^Billboard vol. 93 #33 (August 22, ) p.
- ^Daily Sentinel (Grand Junction Colorado) 13 November "The Pointer Sisters' Sound: a musical evolution" by Abe Peck p. 16 (The Entertainer)
- ^"SA Charts –March ". Retrieved September 10,
- ^Whitburn, Joel (). Top Adult Contemporary: . Record Research. p.
- ^Whitburn, Joel (). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: . Record Research. p.
- ^"Cash Box Top Singles, September 5, ". Archived from the original on June 3, Retrieved January 15,
- ^d3rekammedisdaninfokes-soepraoen.org?brws_s=1&file_num=nlc&type=1&interval=24&PHPSESSID=mhe12pta2k83e08udtq66ot[dead link]
- ^"Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 22, Retrieved January 15, CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- ^Whitburn, Joel (). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: , Second edition. Record Research. p.
- ^"Conway Twitty Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
The Pointer Sisters - All I Know Is The Way I Feel